Green Oak cleans up at SME Enviro App!
06 September 2012
Green Oak and Glasgow Caledonian Uni have won the prestigious SME Enviro App competition!
The final took place on Friday at Microsoft's Waverly Gate offices in Edniburgh in front of a distinguished panel of judges headed by Ian Marchant CEO of Scottish and Southern Energy and including David Sigsworth, Chairman of SEPA; John Mason, Director of Business at the Scottish Government and Lars Lindstedt Principal Software Economist at Microsoft. The competition was sponsored by the 2020 Climate group and all of the organisations above.
CEO Robert McKechnie said: "I'm delighted to report that the Green Oak/GCU entry was chosen ahead of stiff competition from a group of great ideas from the other four finalists - Edinburgh Festivals, 1 Part Carbon, Envirodigital and Linknode. The prize includes £50K funded by SEPA, SSE and the Scottish Government to be used to develop the product as well as support from all of the 2020 participants in order to ensure that the product has maximum impact upon the SME carbon agenda. We are also delighted to be travelling to Redmond, Washington to meet with the Microsoft Global Apps and Environmental teams."
Greenoak's entry was called Care to Compare and it is aimed at taking SMEs on a carbon journey including the following stages:
- Educate – some highly interactive educational material on carbon, what it is and why it is important
- Compare – enter some basic energy information as well as size of premises, number of employees and turnover and compare energy performance with other companies in your sector
- Take Action – select from a number of categories including energy, heat, water, waste and pick specific reduction actions and see the cumulative impact in terms of cost and CO2
- Measure – this is where companies would subscribe to carboncheck to monitor and measure on an ongoing basis
- Plan – create a reduction plan and track progress against the plan
You can see more from Green Oak and their fellow finalists at ECCI's Low Carbon Innovation Showcase at the Scottish Low Carbon Investment conference in October.