We are in a Climate Emergency. The actions we all choose to take over the next decade will decide whether we succeed or fail to meet the biggest challenge to our civilisation in the 21st century.
Capacity building and skills development in all sectors of society is vital to supporting the transition to a zero carbon economy, which is why ECCI works to enhance skills and build capacity through our partnerships, projects, policy and advisory roles, and links to educational courses for all levels of expertise.
Much of ECCI's work is focused on building partnerships between organisations who can deliver real change - across sectors, industries and borders. We do this by creating and managing partnership networks and working with key partners on specific projects and programmes. Examples include:
- Sustainable Scotland Network (SSN) - with a secretariat based at ECCI, the SSN network spans all of Scotland’s 150+ public sector bodies, facilitating knowledge and resource sharing, and embedding best practice around measuring and driving down climate impact.
- Edinburgh Climate Compact - through the Edinburgh Climate Commission, we designed a set of climate commitments and targeted the biggest and most influential organisations in Edinburgh to commit to reducing their climate impact.
- The Place-based Climate Action Network (PCAN) will help the UK meet its climate targets by catalysing cross-sector action and increasing the flow of green finance.
Policy and advisory
ECCI experts also advise the Scottish and UK government on training and skills policy. ECCI Director Professor Dave Reay contributes advice, leadership and expertise to:
- UK Gov Green Jobs Taskforce
- Education and skills for COP26 Unis network
- Climate Emergency Skills Action Plan (CESAP) [Scottish Government]
- Scottish Governement's Implementation Group for the CESAP
SAGES & NERC PhD programmes
Since 2017/18 ECCI has worked with SAGES and NERC to offer pioneering career enhancement opportunities for PhD students. The programme links students with relevant host organisations and is at the forefront of bringing academia and business together to tackle global environmental challenges. A range of business, third and public sector organisations working in priority areas of interest for SAGES and NERC are matched with PhD students to work together on meaningful consultancy projects.
We host a range of postgraduate courses at ECCI, designed to help build a low carbon society. Our hub is home to around 200 Masters students, studying everything from carbon management to environmental sustainability.
The online Carbon Management MSc is a ground-breaking development of our award-winning campus-based programme, providing students worldwide with high-level knowledge, skills and training in the business, economics and science of carbon management.
Climate Change Risk in Finance
A partnership between ECCI, Edinburgh Futures Institute and the Centre for Business Climate Change and Sustainability, this is a fundamental course for financial professionals focused on the consequences of climate change on finance – how to navigate data, measure risk, gain accurate insights for financial decision making, and capture opportunities related to transitioning to net zero.
Climate Solutions MOOC
The Climate Solutions course is designed and delivered by award-winning climate change experts and educators, including ECCI's director Professor Dave Reay.
It tackles the biggest challenge of our time – climate change – by giving each of us the knowledge and tools we need to make a real difference. Designed to be accessible and engaging throughout, it provides the facts you need to know about what climate change is, and the solutions you need to know so you can be part of fighting it.
Get in touch
If you’re interested in finding out more about ECCI's training and skills work, please get in touch.